My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

numbness

I realized that in all of the story so far I haven't talked about the numbness that I have. My bottom lip and chin is the most profoundly numb. This extends slightly up my right cheek. The numbness, though more diffuse, extends up my left cheek to my temple. My lower teeth are numb, which is a blessing because with my jaws banded I would be very sensitive to cold liquids otherwise. The roof of my mouth feels like I am wearing a plastic retainer. I am already gaining back some feeling to my lip - I get tingling, prickly feelng in them. Also, when I am getting close to needing pain med my lower lip feels like it is swelling and scalded. Weird and changing everyday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Annie,
Looks like you are doing great! Your positive attitude is making a big difference I'm sure! Overall though I think you look very good!

I totally know what you are talking about with your lower lip LOL! My would feel hot hot, like it was puffy and swollen and burned. Then it would switch and be freezing cold! I found chapstick helped a lot. As long as I kept it on thing would be fine, but as soon as it would wear off things would feel dry and cold! I still were it pretty much 24/7 but just this past couple of weeks my lip has been improving a lot. It is still tingly, but not as intense, and my lower lip actually feels almost normal, not hot or cold, and it has a lot of feeling now. Has been 5 months in the waiting though!

So glad to hear you are getting a bit of sleep now. The first month things are sorta on and off with the swelling, but I found by 6 to 8 weeks things started to improve tremendously! Now sleep is completely glorious! I swear I tell anyone who will listen. Until you have gone years without sleep you cannot truly appreciate the value of a good nights rest. Getting my life back, being able to concentrate, and think clearly, and having energy, are things I will never again take for granted. I wake up everyday, totally humbled, and so incredibly grateful that I can sleep and dream on a daily basis. Soon you will understand what I'm talking about!

Anyway...I digress, but I'm glad you have come through your surgery so well and trust me when I tell you it is all down hill from here! It only gets better!

Take care of YOU!

Brandy

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home