My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pre-op OS visit

I had my pre-op visit with my oral surgeon this afternoon. He seemed pleased when he looked at the xrays, cephalogram, and the molds. He plans to move my maxilla 4mm and my mandible 12mm and also the genioglossus advancement. We talked about the plan for pain management and course of post-op recovery. I felt much better about the whole process by the end of my visit.

I also took my nurse friends to breakfast this morning. Just to make sure everyone had all the relevant phone numbers and a basic game plan. It turns out that the ICU I will be in after surgery is a small, 4 bed unit. I like the idea of not being in a huge ICU.

5 more days until surgery. Yikes!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Anne,
Got your message today on my blog. I'm sure the nerves must be raging at this point. I know they really started to hit me about this time.
Try and focus on the prize! Soon you will be sleeping like a baby and so grateful for the second chance at a fresh start. I know there are no guarantees but this surgery has very good results and those of us who have undergone it are all doing so much better, I'm sure you will be another one in the "OMG I'm finally sleeping like a normal person club"

I wish I could give you some advice to help ease your stress, but at this point it is so much easier said then done. You have been taking vitamins,and exercising, all of which should help your recovery immensely, and you are as prepared as a person can be. Try not to worry about your kids. You will come through this fine and I'm sure you have taken plenty of time to prepare them. I think the fear is so much worse when you have kids, as you are not worried for yourself, but more for them.

Glad that my blog has been helpful, that was my goal when I started it. I found out today that my braces are coming off in 6 weeks! Soon, you will be where I am now and this will all be a distant memory.

I will definitely be following your blog post surgery, and sending some happy, healing, well wishes your way next week!

I'm sure your insurance issues will be worked out. GA is covered, its the sliding genioplasty that is considered cosmetic. Although there is now new current research that sliding genioplasty changes the pull on the tongue muscles and helps with sleep apnea too! My doctor submitted documentation supporting it as he did not want to do a GA. My insurance ended up covering all of it but $500.00. I did have to pay out $4500.00 though and wait for reimbursement. I did get it all back though! So hopefully things will go as well for you too!

Take care and keep us updated, lots of people will be checking in on you and wondering how you are doing! :)

Brandy

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home