My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Monday, August 06, 2007

Yaaaa hoooo!

I haven't posted over the last two orthodontic appts. because there just hasn't been that much to report. More lower tooth slenderizing, back in rubber bands to help tighten up those lower teeth as much as possible. But with my last appt. he told me that it was time to see the oral surgeon again.

I saw Dr. H today and he agrees that I have enough overjet to proceed! My surgery date is October 24, 2007! So I am T minus 78 days, 11 hours, and 37 minutes. (Sorry for the geek talk, I live in the Rocket City).

Dr. H wants to proceed with the MMA along with a elliptical osteotomy version of GA. He explained that for the GA he will cut a diagonal "chunk" of my chin loose and shift it forward. He explained that this procedure would help the vertical aspect of my profile more so than a regular GA. I will go back to him a week or so before surgery to have a final set of pre-op xrays done and then will be ready to go! I am excited about getting ready to proceed but I don't think the actual reality of all of this will hit me until much closer to time.

More info when I have it.
Anne

3 Comments:

Blogger learian said...

Hi, Anne,

Oooooooo, slenderizing a lower tooth? How elegant!! Congratulations on getting your surgery date. I am so excited for you!

I wanted you to know that I did e-mail The Sandman and The Sandmama to ask about individual message board folks contacting each other via e-mail. Although they are not totally against the idea and have in fact facilitated some
contacts, they have legitimate concerns about privacy and how the exchange of pictures could be used inappropriately.

I am more than open to sending you a sling of pictures of me and agree that it's really important for people to get a look-see at the befores and afters. Not only will it ease anxiety, but I think it will demystify the procedure.

You must promise to keep your yucking it up (at my pictures) to only the closest of family and friends and not to use them for resale. HAH!

Let me know what you think about our exchanging e-mails. Thanks so much for your kind words on your Sleepnet post yesterday.

Best,

Toni
learian from Sleepnet

7:38 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

yes! I would love to see your pics and promise not to profit from the sale/distribution of what I am sure would be fabulous, purchase-worthy mugshots.

I really am glad that you are doing so well. It really does make me feel more at ease knowing that there have been so many really good results lately.

I am glad that the Sandfolks are not opposed to facilitating some off-forum emailing. Sometimes there are some conversations that you don't want to have with the rest of the world.

Nice to meet you Toni,
Anne

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter (16yo) had the MMA surgery on 6Aug2007. You may want to invest in a few toddler squeeze bottles, sippy cups and silverware. It makes eating/drinking easier. Also, cold things to eat are easier. We have several plastic containers of frozen juice or gatorade, that we scrape out of the container to make it spoonable and she can swallow these. If you have any questions please e-mail me at crhamm1@yahoo.com

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home