My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

new friend

Just when I seem to be getting rather depressed with all of the waiting, waiting, waiting that goes along with preop braces, I meet someone who gives me a little hope. I was at a school meeting on Sunday and sat next to a very pretty woman named Cindy. After a little while she asked me how long I had left with my braces. She explained that she had recently gotten her braces off. When I explained that I had them in preparation for surgery we began a deeper conversation. It turns out that she also had braces in preparation for surgery - the same surgery as I will have, by the same doctor, at the same hospital! I was very pleased to know that she was very pleased with the whole process and had a wonderful outcome. I took a really good look at her then and admired Dr. Hudson's esthetic judgement for her profile. Her facial proportions are perfect. One of my concerns with the MMA is that my jaw will be brought too far forward and I will have a bulldog profile. I know this isn't realistic, but it is a concern anyway.

She also told me that to this day she can't stomach milkshakes or smoothies after having so many of them while banded shut. They are so fattening, it is probably a good thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hi Apnea mom,
I would love to chat with you if you get a chance. We are both the same age and it looks like I will be having MMA (upper, lower, and chin work for me) in May. WE are the same age and I too am in full orthodontics. I'm blogging my whole journey, as I also had to have palate expansion surgery last March. The original plan was to only do lower jaw advancment as I have a underdeveloped lower jaw. However, I went in today and the doctor said he wants to change the plan. That my lower advacement would be too small (only about 4mm) and probably would not cure my apnea so.....he wants to do the works.

Anyone who has apnea knows how horrible it is, and how desperately the promise of good sleep would make you do just about anything. I can say that I'm absolutely terrified, but pretty much resigned to whatever it takes to cure my apnea. Anyway...it would be nice to have someone my age to talk to about all this, someone who is going through the same procedures and eventually surgery. You can email me at brandyleigh35@hotmail.com
I look forward to hearing from you!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home