My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Insurance Update

I have an update to my insurance saga. After hearing from my surgeon's insurance clerk that there were problems with my insurance getting on board with me, I had an idea. I called the head of the Human Resources for my husband's company - not the local person, but the head of the food chain - and explained my situation. She agreed that what I had heard from the insurance, by way of the insurance clerk at my surgeon's office, wasn't plausible and needed to be handled directly. Five minutes later I was in a three-way conference call with the HR director and the group manager for my insurance. I once again got to explain my situation. The insurance group manager wasn't even able to pull my case file up on the insurance computer! Since things weren't coming close to making sense, she said that she would call my surgeon's office the next day and talk with the insurance clerk. She would get the clerk to fax the reports to her and she would walk them through to those that needed to see them. The next business day after that (so fast after 7 months of waiting) I got a call from the HR director with great news! She told me that no predetermination is needed for my MMA. Medical necessity was determined by the diagnosis code, and yes, sleep apnea is an approved diagnosis code for MMA. It turns out that the insurance clerk was trying to file a predetermined cost estimate (or something like this) and this isn't something that BCBS does. It is more of a dental insurance thing. So, I don't know why noone at BCBS mentioned that she was trying to file something erroneous or why she didn't ask BCBS what she was doing wrong. At this point I don't care. I am just over the moon that my surgery is covered by insurance! Our HR director made sure that I had her number and encouraged me to call her directly with any future problems. I love it when a plan finally comes together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home