My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Frustration abounds

I am so FRUSTRATED! I finally heard back from the insurance person at my oral surgeon's office. They heard from my insurance company - BC/BS of Massachusetts. After many requests for additional records and test results, the medical director for BC/BS has decided that the decision to approve or not approve the MMA will be delayed until AFTER my orthodonic treatment is completed.

This is so frustrating for so many reasons:

-Delaying the surgery until after my teeth are completely finished doesn't make sense. I need the braces in place for wiring my teeth during the postop period and for fine tuning my tooth position after the bone healing is done.

-This decision makes me wonder if the insurance medical director has a clue about this procedure that he/she is making a ruling on. Is the decision-maker a dermatologist who doesn't have a clue about current treatments for sleep apnea?

-My bite is getting worse everyday thanks to the braces doing exactly what they are intended to do - to give me a terrible overbite in preparation for my maxilla and mandible movement with the surgery.

-Chewing is getting really difficult - the thought of the surgery being postponed for another period of time is very discouraging.

-The thought of not being able to have this surgery scares the hell out of me. My weight, high blood pressure, arrhythmias, rock-bottom energy level. I have been trying to keep from getting depressed about the whole situation. The long-term damage of sleep apnea
are well documented and quite permanent.

I have a few calls into the human resources rep from my husband's work. Hopefully she will find out something that I don't know already.

I find this all exhausting and it makes me want to crawl in the bed and never come out. Maybe my next post will be some good news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home