My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Recovery Timeline

Almost daily for the last month or so someone has asked me how long it will take to get over this surgery. When I tell them 6 months their eyes get huge and their mouths drop open. I have told them that the worst will only last a few weeks but it takes a while to get everything working again. Well, I remembered that my personal MMA hero - Seattlebill from Sleepnet.com posted a timeline after getting many requests from folks preparing for surgery. I have this printed out and posted on my refrigerator to remind me to be patient with the process. Since I am sure that most of my friends and family that will read this blog won't venturue over to sleepnet, here 'tis:

A general timeline for recovery post-MMA happens in these phases.

1) Initial Peri-op Phase: 1-5 days. The initial peri-op hospital phase (the "glad I'm alive", OMG- what have I done, oh boy- now what) involves intense recovery. Though it is much feared, it passes quickly and leaves indelible memories particularly if this is your first surgical experience.

2) Early Post-op Adaptation Phase: 3-14 days post-op. This is typically where most of us learn to confront and adapt to the typical post-op lifestyle changes. (ie, a swollen face, closed mouth, altered caloric intake, +/- pain , pain meds, fatigue, etc...). This is where advice, ingenuity, and mutual support pays off.

3)"Doldrum" phase : 2-4 weeks post-op. In this stalled phase of early recovery, it is common to be bored, look for any sign of progression (wanting "real" food,arch bars off, etc...), be mildly depressed (common with anything involving a slow recovery), and be persistently fatigued. Distractions, reassurance, and activity help in this period.

4) Turning the corner phase: 4-6 weeks post-op. Lots of positive things happen during this period. Arch bars get removed, braces get adjusted, diet improves, we feel more energetic and feel better rested. Physiologically, as with any major procedure, this is about the time where the healing body stops sucking energy stores and allows you to function more normally. Most of us really start to feel "normal" around this time.

5) "MIDDLE" Recovery Phase: 2-4 months post-op. Gradual restoration of normal eating (soft-semi chew, minced, full chew), normal mouth opening, restoration of facial and oral sensation, return to active life and work, etc... But, this is just the "middle" phase ! We're still not done yet !

6) LATE Recovery phase: 4-8 months post-op. Complete return of normal eating, restoration of most of facial sensation (though full restoration in some areas can be delayed up to 12-18 months), and finally a time frame where we can really judge how effective the OSA improvement can be ! This is the time for a repeat sleep study. Sleep architecture patterns will have equilibrated and we can really fairly judge our improvement without physiologic impairment from surgery clouding the results.

7) RESIDUAL PHASE : 8+ months post-op. By now, we have generally recovered and are dealing with residual effects of the surgery. Sleep studies will either demonstrate cure, improvement, or need for further procedures. Residual sensation may need more time to recover, or may not improve at all. Dental alignment may need to be addressed, etc...Basically, at this stage, we are what we are...and must move forward from there.

Bottomline: It really does take about 6 months for a full recovery, even though there are definite stages of notable improvement. An MMA recovery is truly a marathon, and NOT a sprint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home