My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Three weeks and one day

Well, here I am at the point where I start counting in weeks instead of days. Progress measured in weeks, not days. This is good because if I look at the last few days I am a little down because I have had trouble sleeping. I have had a cough with some heartburn that may be sinus related but I don't know for sure because I don't know how my sinuses feel when they drain now. With my hard palate being so profoundly numb right now I might not be able to feel sinus pressure right now. I took some OTC that I had used before surgery and it is keeping me up at night. Not good. I need sleep! (Sleep ,good -awake, sweaty, jittery Anne, bad.) Thanks to some good advice from a friend (thanks Bill) I have kicked the OTC med and got some sleeping meds from my doctor to tide me over until the nerve pain in my chin quits bothering me. I am really hoping for a good night's sleep tonight. Hubby says that when I am asleep I am quiet as a lamb. No sounds, no apnea. Yea me!

If I look at my progress in weeks I am doing much better than last Thursday. I had just gotten my surgical bands removed. My jaw was aching and food felt sharp in my mouth. Now I am able to eat food that doesn't really require chewing without problems. I am fun to watch eat - sort of like watching a toddler feed themself. With my hard palate, cheeks, and lips numb I lose track of the food that is in my mouth. I can't feel if I have food on the outside of my mouth. I occassionally dribble liquids. At home I have a kitchen towel that I use to keep my clothes clean - I won't call it a bib though. Bibs are for babies, right.
Where the heck did my lips go! I will be glad when the swelling, numbness, braces, and wax are gone. Maybe then my lips will return.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you are looking great! Hope your recovery continues to go well!!!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home