My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jacking up the Bondage a Notch

Just when I thought the braces couldn't get any more fun I go visit the orthodontist. Today the wires were changed, I had some more slenderizing on my funny little fan-shaped lower incisors, and a power chain was stretched from one side of my lower teeth to the other. I again have the pleasure of wearing elastics, one diagonally from top to bottom on the left and another elastic diagonally from top to bottom right in the front. What this means is that there is no way to eat without removing the elastics. When I drink I have to make sure my lips are poked out enough to make a good seal. Having the rim of a glass bounce off the front elastic and dribble down one's shirt can make one look a little sloppy.

Dr. H. noticed that the bony ridges that I have on either side of my mandible are a little problematic. They form pockets against the back molars where food can get trapped and cleaning is difficult. It is too soon to say whether or not a revision procedure is necessary but things are going to have to improve significantly before cleaning is not a hassle.

On the good side, Dr. H. said that I should only have two or three more regular visits, then two weeks in heavy elastics to pull the bite together into it's final position, and then I get to DEBRACE! So, with any luck we are looking at late spring/early summer to be done with the braces.

Ah, to be slick-toothed again. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home