My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Just putting along...

I can't believe that 12/19 was the last time I posted! My family had a nice Christmas and New Year's holiday. The kids go back to school on Monday and things will get back to normal.

I am 10 1/2 weeks postop and nothing much is happening.

That is good, in that I am not having new problems popping up. Still eating like a toddler - but food falling out of my mouth is endearing, right? Still needing to "wax up" everyday so that I don't spend the day biting the back incisions.

It is bad in that nothing much seems to be improving. My mouth opening and jaw "limberness" doesn't seem to be making much improvement either. I have been advised that it is too early to start worrying that I need to see an OT for my TMJs. With normal use and gentle stretching exercises (exagerated facial expressions) I should see a slow improvement with my jaw function. I'll give it a month or two and then I start to worry about seeing an OT to help widen the pie hole.

The slight changes that I have noticed over the last couple of weeks is that the roof numbness is subsiding and my upper teeth are becoming more sensitive. More specifically, my upper right incisor aches a bit. My lower lip continues to improve. The scalding is all but gone now. When I place something cold to my lower lip I get the same cold sensation down my lower lip to my chin. It feels like I have dribbled my cold drink down to my chin. I have wiped my mouth many times for no reason.

My speech is pretty clear now. I rarely have to repeat myself because I slurred my words. (I have to repeat myself often to my children because I am a mother and they don't hear me.) I think that any remaining speech impediment will be resolved with the removal of my braces. I see my orthodontist on Jan. 23rd. Hopefully we will be talking about an estimated braces removal time.

I will update again when I have new pics or after I see my orthodontist in a couple of weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home