My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, actually Happy Thanksgiving Eve. I saw Dr. Hudson today for my 4 week post op visit. He seemed pleased with my progress except that he wants for me to start wearing a couple of elastics again to keep my mandible from slipping back. He also, yes boys and girls, released me to eat anything that is comfortable enough to manage - and just in time for Thanksgiving! I am looking forward to tomorrow. My brother and nephew are coming in from Killeen, TX for the weekend. My sister-in-law, niece, other nephew, and my niece's husband are staying in Killeen. My niece's husband is shipping out for his second tour in Iraq on Saturday. Please pray for his safety.

I am pretty tired tonight. My mom isn't up to doing the preparations for Thanksgiving without some help. That's me. I am feeling pretty good, albiet tired. I will sleep like a log tonight! I am glad that sleeping like a log is becoming the rule rather than the exception! I am so blessed to be living in a time when repair of anatomical problems that cause life-shortening apnea is possible. Not to mention, I am beginning to like the new chin more and more as the cheeks slowly resolve their puffiness.

The nerve pain seems pretty much the same as before. The numbness of my hard palate and upper teeth is still profoundly numb. The cheeks are thankfully still numb - the hooks on my braces are eating up my cheeks. I am keeping a veritable wax museum in my mouth just to keep the irritation under control. The big problem with nerve pain continues to be my lower lip extending to my chin. Still very numb, yet scalded feeling. When I am tired or after eating is when it seems worst. The smile is still crooked and my lower lip is in hiding for the time being. Time will tell how much this situation resolves.

Peaches, our spoiled rotten, high energy Bassett Hound, was sitting so quietly while my son took the pictures that we had to snap a quick pic of her too. Isn't she cute?

I think this is all for now. One month (the worst month) is now behind me! Yea me!

4 Comments:

Blogger learian said...

Yea you is right!! I can't begin to tell you how beautiful you look!! And I just knew you were going to have a house filled with celebrants. Happy Thanksgiving, Anne. Eat well, and sleep well. Toni

1:07 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thank you Toni for the sweet comment. I really am getting adjusted to the new me.

I hope that you have a wonderful, thankful day too.

Anne

9:25 AM  
Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Anne,
You look so great! and you are right the worst month is now behind you! I can't believe it has been a month already, it really has gone by pretty quickly. I know you probably don't think so but I do!

You can really tell that you are getting good sleep now, no more dark circles under your eyes and your skin looks luminous! I think you are going to be really happy with your results once all the cheek swelling comes down, although it has decreased a lot!

Perfect timing on the eating news. YOu migh actually be able to enjoy Thanksgiving! AND now you have lots to be thankful for!

Have a great Thankgiving and enjoy eating!

Brandy

3:43 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Wow! Brandy and Toni - you ladies are doing wonders for my ego! Such glowing comments. I also had a friend tell me last week that the MMA had pulled the wrinkles out of my face. I knew that the double chin was gone but hadn't given the wrinkles a thought. Another benefit!

peace,
Anne

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home