My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Monday, February 25, 2008

I'm Still Here!

I can't believe it has been so long since I posted. I guess not needing to post a bunch of complaints is a good sign. I am in a state of limbo until I can get these damn braces off my teeth! I am getting tired of the tooth bondage. I know, same old story, but this is my biggest complaint today.

Now, for an inventory of my post surgical concerns:

1. I still have more cheeks that I would like. I think that all of the swelling is probably gone and I am left with big ol' cheeks. They are the same size as pre-op, just further forward and slightly lower than before. I still am not used to the new face. Sometimes I like the outcome, but most of the time I feel that I have too much chin, that my face is "bottom heavy" - I hope that this is just a perception problem on my part. Jay Leno wasn't the look I was going for.

2. I do like the nose now, especially in profile. I seem to be breathing very well. I haven't had any perceptible sinus problems since surgery. I had a cold back around Christmas but even with the upper respiratory congestion I never was unable to breath through my nose. This is a vast improvement from before I began my sleep apnea treatment. Before when I had a cold I looked like my IQ had dropped about 30 points because my mouth had to be open all the time so that I could breathe! The mouth-breather look isn't so pretty.

3. My lips are pretty small now compared to pre-op. I hope that as the nerve problems resolve and the braces come off that they look a little better.

4. I have a new weird sensation. When I breathe in, especially when it is a little cool, I get the sensation of a cold hard palate and front teeth. Kind of like a mild brain freeze without the headache. Not a big deal. I figure that some feeling returning means that things are still healing with my nerves.

5. I still have the cold nerve sensation at the corners of my mouth down to my chin when I drink cold liquids.

6. I have been wearing my elastics to adjust my 2mm crossbite. I can't see that it is changing. We will see what my orthodontist says on 3/2/08.

7. My jaw movement seems to be improving slightly. I am gaining a little lateral jaw movement, more to the right than to the left. My right jaw pops fairly significantly when I try and move laterally to the left. Not to mention, the molar bands bite when I do too much lateral movement. Moving my jaw forward is also improving slightly. My right jaw pops when I move it more than about 1 cm.

8. Still have the bony ridges on either side of the back of my mandible. That doesn't seem to be smoothing out although it isn't really painful any longer. Still have the pocket between the ridges and my back molars that keeps me on my toes with cleaning. It requires a bit more that just a toothbrush to get things squeaky clean back there. Those little dental brushes that they sell for cleaning under bridgework and brackets come in really handy.

Sleep has been pretty good. I have had kids with minor illnesses over the last few weeks and there have been a few extra stressors in my life right now. I have had some afternoon sleepiness lately that has me a bit concerned. I am writing it off to maybe having a mild version of what the kids have had and stress getting me down a bit. I will be having my repeat sleep study in April and I am hopeful that all is improved.

I will post again next week after I have my orthodontist appt. Possibly a picture? Wait and see!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Doris Pender said...

Hi Anne! I know it's a little too late that I commented here on your blog. I just stumbled upon your post as I was searching for some sleep apnea stories. How's your surgery? I found out about the snoring from my dentist in Germantown, TN. I believe it's about oral health that affects millions of people today here in the country. Most cases, surgeries are needed. Hope is well with you! God bless.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home