My sleep apnea journey

This is a diary of my experiences as a sleepy mom, through apnea diagnosis and treatment. I have appreciated the information I have learned on the internet and especially appreciate the personal accounts of other's journeys. Stay tuned, it will be a wild ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

My husband and I have been married since 1989. We have a son ('95) and daughter ('97). We have another daughter in heaven since 2000. I am a stay at home mom with a current nursing license. I started this Photo-A-Day blog to document my family's everyday life and to challenge me to grow a bit as a photographer.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Sweet Smell of Success!

As I mentioned before, I had my third sleep study this last week. My first study confirmed my problem with sleep apnea with an RDI of 27 or 28. The second study followed my nasal septoplasty, turbinate trim, and UP3. The nasal procedures were very beneficial however the UP3 was torturous and worsened my apnea. My RDI with the second study was 46. Yikes!

Well after two years of braces and with 5 months post-op recovery from MMA and GA I have wonderful news to share. My third (and last) sleep study had an RDI of 8.3 with oxygen desaturation only dropping to 89% during a few of the apnea episodes! Yee Haw! I actually have a decent REM cycle and am sleeping well.

The only advise he could give me was to lose a few pounds. I knew that was coming and agree. Time to quit procrastinating.


Good news, huh?

As far as the MMA recovery is concerned, things are sort of moving at a snail's pace. Function is pretty good but the nerve damage is still bothersome. My lower lip continues to feel altered - some numbness yet hypersensitive. The roof of my mouth and upper incisors are also slow to return. Still have that mild brainfreeze when I breath in cool air. But, I say sincerely, if I get no more sensory return I would be happy. Once I get the bondage, er, braces off my teeth I will be at a level of wellness that I could live with happily. Looking forward to my day of freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home